Creating a data connection is very important and is much needed task, specially when you create applications or websites which communicate with external Data Sources like SQL Server, Oracle, etc. In this article i will show you how to create a data connection in Visual Studio. I will be using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate edition and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 to explain you the process.
- Create a New project or open any Other project you have.
- Go To the Server Explorer Window, If you don’t see any, then you can go to “View” menu and choose “Server Explorer” from there.
- In “Server Explorer” Window, right click on “Data Connections” and choose “Add Connection”.
- It will open “Add Connection” dialogue.
- Select the “Data Source” provider, by clicking the Change icon next to “Data Source:” field and choose your Data Source from the list provided in next Window. As, I mentioned that i will be creating a connection with SQL Server, So i will choose “Microsoft SQL Server (SQL Client)”.
- After that choose your “Server Name”. This is generally the name of your Computer. You can click on “Refresh” button, which will load all the Servers present and you can select your server from the drop down list. If you don’t find any Server in that list, try be just typing your Server name there instead of selecting from drop down list.
Incoming search terms:
- connectivity in visual studio (1)
- sql server c# ms visual studio 2010 (1)
- visual studio 2010 ultimate tutorial (1)
- visual studio ms sql 2008 r2 tutorial (1)