There are number of reserved keyword in DOS like CON, PRN, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, LPT9, NUL and some more. Now if try to create a New Folder and give it a name from these keyword, Windows will show you an error and just cancels your request. You can try anything to create folder with these type of names but you won’t succeed. But here is a way out. I will show you two ways to create these kind of folders.
- Using Command Prompt
- Open Command Prompt either by going to start menu and in typing cmd in search box or by first opening “Run” Dialogue by using shortcut “Windows Logo + R” then typing cmd there and hitting Enter key.
- In the Command Prompt Window type the following command there
- Hit Enter. It will create a CON folder for you in D:\ drive. You can confirm this by opening that drive
- Using Naming Conventions
- You can create CON folder, first by creating a New Folder.
- Now Rename it to
con(alt+255)i.e first enter con, then by holding alt key type 255 from your numpad.
- This will rename the folder to con + extra white space. Hit Enter key and you will be having a CON folder in your PC.
- Note: you can’t just use space key to enter a white space after the word con as windows will trim all the leading white spaces.
Incoming search terms:
- how to create con folder in windows 7 (11)